Thursday, February 10, 2011


As a person who has a passion for art but perhaps an even larger passion for teaching, most of the first chapter of How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist was an interesting read. I find it is extremely important though. I find myself wondering if I could do it. I wonder if I could support myself and my family as an artist. And to be quite honest, I have my doubts. I love painting and creating and I love that whole experience, but if I had to do that in order to survive I would be afraid my passion for it would fade as the struggles became more and more daunting. I dont think I could support myself and my family doing something that was so unstable. This book is supposed to show you how to make it more stable but im not sure I am built for that. And maybe that is the wrong thing to say, because here I am in the forth year at an Art School, about to graduate with my BFA, and im having doubts that this is something I could do, but in all reality I have never dreamed of being a "professional artist". I have dreamed of teaching. But I also know that I change my mind more than I change my underwear and so who knows what my dreams are going to be in the future. So I am taking this information in and keeping it in mind for the future, and applying what I can to my dream and passion for teaching.

1 comment:

  1. Keep changing your mind Emily! That is what life is all about. Don't ever feel bad about it. You will light up any classroom you enter. You inspire me through your perseverance. Rock it Girl! <3 Jen G.

    ReplyDelete